Saturday, September 11, 2021

Some queer love songs...

I saw #Arthur Bressen's 1977 documentary #GayUSA on mubi.com. It is such a beautifully crafted film. Perhaps the only documentary I have watched twice! What brought me there the second time was the songs. 

I tried to look for their words online but couldn't find them. I did find a list of their names on a site dedicated to the music in Bressen's films. (queer music heritage dot com). 



Then I decided to hear and copy out the words. I wonder if sharing them here will violate copyright? I'll put a few nuggets. Even though they are about gay love, they speak to just any heart. And hey are sung in a lilting and natural style. 

(I think this one is 'Glad to be loving you')

    When I look into your eyes

    I see the whispers and the cries

    I see the silence 

    You're a woman... I am too 

    No longer scared to tell you

    I love you 


    Though those moments we're apart 

    seemed so long 

    the love we shared with each other 

    kept getting strong...er

    now we speak more openly 

    dropping inhibitions isn't easy 

    born with so much deep inside 

    its hard to know who we can confide ... in 

......... 

Another song - think its 'Reflections'

My World

Life i freely choose 

my world it has it's highs and lows 

the sun, it makes the day bright

the moonlight up in the night sky, 

the day ends in my world... 

tonight i ask why 

why did i choose a life where blues are ordinary 

co-confusion is the rule of thumb 

why did i say yes to being gay 

what was that feeling 

where did it come from 

why did i take a life where there's so much at stake 

a life that takes your strength to not be sad

why did i say yes to being gay 

why.. did i choose a choice i never had 


...... and so on..( the rest is lovely too. see the film!) 

P.S. :- A stray comment by a protester in the documentary - 'You cant have freedom of religion, if you have religion in the law!' A great way to put it. Urgent message in our current times. 

No comments: